All information in this report is taken from the Medicare Provider Analysis and Review (MedPAR) file which is updated annually by CMS based on the federal fiscal year. The file includes billing data for 100% of all Medicare fee-for-service claims (IPPS claims) for discharges during the twelve months ending September 30. The report is based on the most recent period available and is consistent with CMS cell size suppression policies. Only procedures with more than ten cases are reported.
The twenty procedures appearing on highest numbers of cases are ranked by volume (i.e. sum of principal diagnosis cases plus secondary diagnosis cases). Report totals are not calculated because multiple diagnoses may appear on a claim.
- Proc Code
- an ICD-9-CM procedure code that defines a surgical or other treatment procedure. The International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems (most commonly known by the abbreviation ICD) provides codes to classify procedures appearing on a Medicare fee-for-service inpatient claim. The International Classification of Diseases is published by the World Health Organization and is revised periodically. The ninth revision is used for the period being reported.
- ICD-9-CM Procedure Description
- description of the ICD-9-CM code being reported.
- Total IPPS Cases
- total number of IPPS claims in which the procedure appears. IPPS claims are Medicare fee-for-service inpatient claims paid under the Inpatient Prospective Payment System.
- Total IPPS Occurrences
- total number of times the procedure occurs in IPPS claims. A procedure may be performed more than once during an admission and may therefore be listed more that once on a claim. IPPS claims are Medicare fee-for-service inpatient claims paid under the Inpatient Prospective Payment System.